can’t stop singing this song
three things that make me happy, inspired by this joanna goddard post.
1. making coffee at home
2. sleeping with the windows open
3. when my perfume is still there hours later
what makes you happy?
today is one of those days that just feels good. i slept in, went to my parents’ for easter dinner, and am now sitting at home drinking a beer in bed, soaking up sunlight.
days like today make me wish i could remember all of the good days, have them filed away in a cabinet that smelled dusty, but not dirty. so that i could pull up the memories whenever i need one.
i’m listening to andrew bird, which reminds me of another perfect day.
my very first concert was a 17th birthday present. i went to see andrew bird in asheville with my best friend. i remember thinking the bassist was flirting with me (but i was 17 so most likely, no). i also remember still thinking beer was gross, and the concert venue smelled too much like sweat and old beer. but, i was ecstatic to be in a different city, listening to music by someone i never thought i’d be in the same room with, and happy to be alive.
i hope this sunday finds you happy to be alive also. ❤
2. my dear friend sent me a video by san fermin the other day and said it would simply make my day. he was right. then, i stumbled on the band’s npr tiny desk concert. it blew me away.
3. yesterday, my favorite author, gabriel garcia marquez, passed away. 100 years of solitude has been my favorite book for years. i was very sad to hear of his passing, but it sounds like it was an end to his suffering, so i guess i can be thankful for that. do you have a favorite author?
4. do you have a go-to staple item of clothing? for me, it’s a good striped shirt. i have five, and it’s the hardest thing for me to walk away from one at the store. i might need this print from etsy.
5. last weekend was prom! i freaked out about what to wear momentarily, because what do grown ups wear to prom? i think it turned out to be a lovely event, and i was proud of my students for acting tastefully.
ps: i won prom queen.
you may have seen this video making the rounds on the internet:
wow… don’t you just wanna sit in the middle of all those flowers coming at you? even though it’s an advertisement, i just love the idea. the colors are breathtaking really.
here’s the behind the scenes. these guys are super cool:
Even though it’s a day late, it’s certainly not a dollar short..
Here are five things from my week!
1. Bought a basil plant and have managed to not kill it yet!
2. Thursday was national sibling day, apparently, and tonight is prom night, so here’s a picture of me and my sister on prom night four years ago!
She’s very tall..
3. Dreaming of these very pretty little baskets for my fridge and counters.
4. I did buy these spring shoes, but they were too big, so I gave them to my mother, because I’m sweet as pie.
5. Confession: I’ve been watching Vampire Diaries obsessively. My best friend watched it for years, and I just couldn’t believe that I’d like it. Finally, after binge-watching everything else reasonable on Netflix, I’ve started watching it. It’s surprisingly good.
What are you digging this week? Bought any cute shoes recently?
things are getting a little busy at school, so i haven’t been able to post as much. here is a pretty little gem to tide you over!
this is a picture of some shiny cherry tomatoes i had with lunch yesterday. they were so bright against my kitchen towel i had to snap a picture, and then instagram it appropriately.
how’s your week going?
mm, first year teacher weekends..
they truly are heaven on earth.
i plan on having cute little random posts with things i like and things i’m doing each weekend! here’s my first one!
so far, i’ve managed to eat cheese and crackers and finally watch Beasts of the Southern Wild. i remember seeing the preview when i was living in Oregon a few summers ago, and i was immediately enthralled. it’s just as rewarding as i had expected. if you haven’t seen it, go out and watch it immediately!
i’m also really into this joni mitchell cover right now, especially since the video stars rebecca hall. i’ve always thought rebecca looked like my high school french teacher, which makes me love her even more. have you listened to james blake? he’s fantastic!
i plan on having a cinco de avril (cinco de mayo, a month early) party just to celebrate the start of pretty weather and my love of mexican food. if i come up with anything fun, i’ll share some recipes and pictures!
what are you doing this weekend? hope you enjoy it, whatever you do!
i think this is one of those safe places, so i’ll admit something here.
this year, thus far, has consisted of way too many fast food meals. oh god, the things i’d do for taco bell..
i am constantly trying to get back into the kitchen, trying to eat right, or at least save money. this meal is pretty darn tasty and consists of things you probably already have around your house. it isn’t the lightest thing i’ve eaten, but where’s the fun in that?
For the toasted breadcrumbs:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon of thyme
- 1 parsley (i only had dried on hand, but fresh would be nice)
For the pasta:
- 8 oz pasta (i used whole wheat spaghetti, but any long, thin noodle will do), cooked
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash, cooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- parmesan to taste
For the toasted bread crumbs, melt the butter in a pan. Mix the bread crumbs and herbs in a bowl. Pour the melted butter over the bread crumbs and mix thoroughly. Add the panko-butter mixture back to the pan and toast on medium-high until golden brown throughout. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the pasta sauce, melt the remaining butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Whisk continuously until butter is browned. The butter will be golden brown, not black! Don’t burn your butter! Add in minced garlic, and cook until the garlic is soft. Sprinkle the sage over the squash. Add in cooked pasta and squash. Stir until the pasta starts to soak in the sauce. When serving, sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs and desired amount of parmesan (i prefer a healthy heap)!
Since I only had salted butter, I did not add any salt to this dish. I hope this recipe is easy to follow. I kind of made it up and have never written a recipe before. let me know if you try it!